Wednesday, August 18, 2010

spray paint is my new favorite thing...

So, after stumbling up the All Things Thrifty site one day a few weeks ago and not stopping reading EVERY blog she's done, I came back to one specific entry for yellow furniture and absolutely fell in LOVE with it. At first, yellow furniture seemed kind of weird and over the top, but when you look at what she's done and where she places these pieces in her house, it's incredible! My only problem was, I just repainted a piece of furniture that I got at a discount store, white, but it needed to be black to match my other furniture, and it took FOREVER to sand, prime, paint, re-paint, and coat twice. Needless to say, I was a little nervous to take on painting any new furniture for a while until I read on All Things Thrifty and Miss Mustard Seed that they both spray paint everything and it comes out just as good, and with no brush stroke lines! All that to say, I had to try it, so here's what I found.

I first went to Craigs List, cause it's the best for furniture people just want to get rid of and I came across a few pieces at a little resale shop. After going to shop, finding other pieces I liked and them making an offer on 3 items, I took them all home for around $100.



The 3 pieces include...



a black and gold painted dresser that basically just needs a new plywood back and a better coat of paint (you have to see it up close, but believe me)





 

a chunky coffee table (matches my inspiration piece!)








 and a really unique piece that I told was an LP holder (you know, 'records' for those of your that didn't grow up in that time or didn't have parents that still listened to them :) )


How cool is this?! both sides open independently!



Now, you may be thinking, "These look like really nice wood and you're going to PAINT them?" and yes, yes I am, but what you can't see in the pictures is all the water damage and discoloration, so believe me, they need something. So, ON TO THE PAINT!




First, we have to disassemble everything...I swear I think this takes longer than anything else.


Took the legs and hinged top
off of the LP case
Hinged tops for the LP case on the
right against the dresser
 all the pieces for the LP holder. it had 12 fake keyholes
attached with little pin nails...
they were the dickens to get off!


Then, it's on to priming all the pieces, and after reading how she paints her furniture on All Things Thrifty, I went with her recommendation and primed with Kilz Primer.


After the primer (a couple of coats, just to be sure) had dried, I then went on to painting. Again, on All Things Thrifty recommendation, I used Krylon brand spray paint and went to town...

no, I do not like this green, it's supposed to be olive green...
yeah right. so, i may be going with a navy or
chocolate brown instead, we'll see.


The only problem was...apparently spray paint dries before it hits the surface if you're spray painting in temperatures above 80-85 degrees, so all of my beautiful 'glossy' paint is now gritty, patchy and scrapes off at the drop of a hat! So, the only thing to do now in 95-100 degree Southern weather is to wait till it cools off...in maybe September???

One thing I was able to work on though is spraying the hardware. I used Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze for the color. All of the original hardware was rusty, discolored and un-shineable for lack of a better term...so I fixed that.



You can't see it very well cause the plastic is now sprayed too, but they look all shiny and perfect and ready to be put back on! Now if only I could cool down that garage enough to spray paint...

2 comments:

  1. Whoa That's a lot of work! No wonder I haven't heard from you lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to spray paint everything in my apartment now....what can I paint that Blake won't notice??....hmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete