Saturday, December 11, 2010

15 minute earrings

I have a tendency to not purchase things that I can make. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean I will EVER make it, but if I have the ability, I can't buy it, which brings me to this little tutorial blog! I have so many fabrics that I have collected over the years from people cleaning out their stashes to the remnants section of Hobby Lobby, so I love to find projects that use these smaller amounts that I have laying around, and this one certainly uses a small amount. I've tried my hand at jewelry making in the past...earrings and necklaces mostly, but I have never been very good with jump rings and spending hours putting links together, so this project is totally right for me.


This dainty little pair of floral print earrings were my first attempt. I made them in the 15 minutes I waited for pizza to be ready! Of course now I'm hooked and I just wanna sit around all day today and make pair after pair. Only problem I can find is I may not have enough different fabrics that have small enough prints to fit on the button...guess some will be solids.




 Wanna make you're own cute little fabric button earrings? I actually remembered to document all the steps this time...and I do mean ALL...haha! I just figured if you're like me, something new always looks less daunting if you see  how it's done step-by-step, and even though the instructions (all like 3 of them) are printed on the back of the pack of buttons, it's easier to do something you can put your eyes on!

hold the cap in the pliers...

all your materials:
needlenose pliers
wire cutter pliers (tight grip)
pack of 5/8" fabric button kit
2 pieces of fabric cut to the
size of the pattern on the kit
(white/blue piece of cardboard)


these are the button caps--
the part we'll be using to
glue the posts on



 

now to attach the fabric

bend the brackets to take
the button part off
and they're off!


all in!

stack your fabric, button
and pusher
and start pushing...
HARD!

lay the back on...

take the pusher out...
and stuff all the fabric in...

then just pop it out!

and click it into place!
button made!

and glue on posts!

perfect little fabric button
heat up your hot glue gun--
do NOT get it on your
table cloth!

 And that's it! A pair of totally cute, vintage looking fabric earrings! The best part is that you can make them any color you want to and you could have a pair to go with every outfit! I can't wait to see how I can use these button in other applications...hmmmm...










Have fun crafting!

1 comment:

  1. okay, so not only are these really cool, but the fact that you taught us how to make them is even cooler. I love them!

    ReplyDelete